Lived Experience Consultants
Arts Access Victoria works to make the creative industries in Victoria more inclusive of people with a wide range of disabilities. In addition to our widely praised training program, we offer an audit carried out over a limited time period by our Lived Experience Consultants.
Artists and culture-consumers with lived-experience of disability undertake a ‘mystery visitor’ assessment. They seek to gauge how your facilities and services meet the needs of people with disability, through a confidential and inconspicuous assessment.
Lived Experience Consultants are people with disability or who are deaf. They are consumers of services who give feedback in areas such as physical access, customer service, communications, social media, marketing, booking processes, access services (Auslan interpreting, captioning, audio description, relaxed shows) and any other areas of interest.
Lived Experience Consultants may also participate in focus groups on general or more specific access topics of interest to an organisation.
Lived Experience Consultants offer:
- Advice informed by real life experiences
- Connection with and understanding of the community you wish to engage
- An understanding of the principle ‘Nothing About Us Without Us’
- An overview of current access in your organisation and suggestions for improvement
Lived Experience Consultants enhance inclusion by:
- Representing AAV’s philosophy and ethical standards
- Engaging in a professional and informed way to expand your knowledge and practice of inclusion
All information gathered through this process is confidential and provided only to the contracting organisation via Arts Access Victoria.
If you are interested in finding out more about our Lived Experience Consultations please contact Arts Access Victoria’s Access Development Officer Janice Florence on 03 8640 6011 or [email protected]