Arts Access Victoria welcomes enquiries from media organisations regarding any of AAV's programs, advocacy, events and artists.
Please note that we encourage all writers and journalists to refer to our resource A guide to talking about disability to ensure that artists are represented accurately. Our media releases and newsletters help us advocate for artists with lived experience of disability to be included in the arts throughout Victoria.
For more information, comments, interviews or to source images from Arts Access Victoria for use in your publication please contact [email protected]
Nexus 2018 applications open
Aug 31 to
Sep 21 2018
Nexus is a new professional development program for young artists with lived experience of mental health recovery.
- Applications open from 31 August 2018 to 21 September 2018.
- Workshops will be held every Friday for eight weeks from 1pm to 4pm starting Friday 12 October 2018 and finishing Friday 30 November 2018 at Arts Access Victoria – 222 Bank Street, South Melbourne.
- This program is specifically for people with experience of mental health diversity who are resident in Victoria. You must be available to attend all the sessions.
Arts Access Victoria (AAV) is delighted to announce the inaugural Nexus professional development program. This eight-week program offers twelve fully subsidised places for Victorian artists and creatives aged between 18 and 27 years who identify with mental health recovery.
Led by lived experience artist and producer Heidi Everett and AAV’s creative producer Phil Noack, Nexus will cover essential themes in contemporary arts practice, including:
- Awesome guest speaker/motivators from some of Melbourne’s best arts producers
- Building your profile – and how your lived experience can be one of your greatest assets
- Developing confidence in your artistic voice
- Connecting in with arts industry and people
- Building support for your creative projects and aspirations
- All those questions about getting ‘out there’
The structure of the program includes both group and one-on-one sessions, with lots of interactive learning and opportunity for practice placements. Artists will also have the opportunity to co-design elements of the program to suit their particular needs and interests.
How to apply
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 21 September 2018.
For more information and to apply contact Heidi Everett on 86406018 or at [email protected].
The Arts Access Victoria Nexus team will be reviewing applications in the last week of September and advising applicants shortly thereafter.
AAV program flyers
For printed copies of AAV program flyers please contact [email protected]
Feature articles in the media
May 4 2018, Legacy of Stella Young acknowledged through arts award, by Nicole Pope for Disability Support Guide
March 26 2018, Exec Director resigns to make statement for change, by Andrea Simpson for ArtsHub
March 5 2018, Is your arts organisation truly accessible? by Andrea Simpson for ArtsHub
Nov 27 2017, Make art a priority in your NDIS plan, by Andrea Simpson for ArtsHub