Nexus 2019 applications are open
Nexus is a professional development program for young artists and producers with disability:
- Applications open from 27 May 2019 to 5 July 2019, 5.00 pm.
- This eight-week program offers twelve fully subsidised places for Victorian artists and producers with disability aged between 18 and 26 years who can attend all the sessions.
- Workshops will be held every Friday for eight weeks from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm, starting Friday 19 July 2019 and finishing Friday 6 September 2019 at Arts Access Victoria – 222 Bank Street, South Melbourne.
Led by lived experience artist and producer Heidi Everett and AAV’s creative producer Phil Noack, Nexus will cover essential themes in contemporary arts practice, including:
- awesome guest speaker/motivators from some of Melbourne’s best arts producers;
- building your profile – and how your lived experience can be one of your greatest assets;
- developing confidence in your artistic voice;
- connecting in with arts industry and people;
- building support for your creative projects and aspirations; and
- all those questions about getting ‘out there.’
The structure of the program includes both group and one-on-one sessions, with lots of interactive learning and opportunity for practice placements. Artists will also have the opportunity to co-design elements of the program to suit their particular needs and interests.
“The [Nexus] program built confidence in my abilities as an artist and mental health advocate, and spurred my involvement in community projects I previously didn’t feel ‘qualified’ or ‘adequate’ enough to pursue,” said 2018 Nexus participant Romy Durrant in a recent article for SBS Life.
Applications close at 5.00 pm on Friday 5 July 2019.
For more information and to apply, please contact Heidi Everett at [email protected] or on (03) 9699 8299.